Wednesday 5 June 2013

Still flying

Arrived in Lima and ran through the airport to get my connecting flight to Iquitos, which was all a bit of a rush.  After two hours on the plane, it was finally announced that bad weather had made landing impossible.  So the plane turned around and went all the way back to Lima. In Lima there was a massive queue for re-booking tickets and every one was stressed. A group of missionaries spoke English and helped me a lot. When I got to the man at the desk he told me the next flight I could get on was the next day at 10.30am. The thought of waiting in the airport for 24 hours made me break down in tears. He told me I couldn't get on an earlier flight but he could get me into a hotel and would get me a taxi there and back. I asked to use a phone to call Freddie and let him know but instead he gave me a useless phone card which didn't work.  In the taxi on the way to the hotel in Lima we passed very poor areas. Lima was coated in a layer of smog and I was fearful that the hotel would not be up to much. I asked a couple in the taxi if I could borrow their phone to call Freddie and they just shook their heads. After half an hour we arrived at the hotel, which turned out to be the five star Sheraton. It was a palace. The porters greeted us and took my bags. When the door of my room was opened for me a beautiful room was revealed with a king sized double bed.  Luxury.  I enjoyed the delights of a posh free lunch and dinner. Eating lunch on my own was a bit lonely. Fortunately, at dinner I bumped into the group of missionaries who invited me to eat with them. They told me about their work and how they help villages although they didn’t say how. They warned me of the hardship in the jungle and concluded by saying that they would pray for me. I also saw a woman who was at the airport arguing to get on the next flight that day. She apparently was very worried for me. She was called Magritta. http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/photos/index.html?propertyID=284#photo_section_2Link





No comments:

Post a Comment