Friday 21 June 2013

Only one wet foot!

Penultimate day of field work. Still had a slight upset tummy this morning but I went to the field again and was fine. I did the whole walk in to our plot without holding Hugo’s hand- result. And only got one wet foot!  While Hugo and Hulio finished stringing the rest of the plot, Louis, Freddie and I started with subplot one. Louis measured the tree diameters and I measured the tree heights and Freddie recorded the measurements. It was a bit slower than when Hulio zooms around measuring the diameters. Once he finished stringing the plot he stepped in and the pace increased. In fact, he went so fast that at times I got behind. He was measuring the next few tree diameters and I was still maneuvering around to find a point to take a height measurement for the first one. This felt a bit stressful as I didn't want to slow the team down but at the same time I wanted to get an accurate measurement while not to sinking into the water or grabbing onto a tree with the biting ants on. I got stung by another wasp today. More importantly, we got 10 subsections of the plot done today. I managed the walk back without holding Hugo’s hand as well – achievement! I did fall a few times but that is to be expected! When we got back I was sweating like crazy and covered head to toe in glorious mud! It was a pretty hot day. We went to the river to wash our boats and trousers – mine seemed to get muddier!! Then I went into the hostel for the best shower ever. We had some traditional salty fish and boiled plantain for dinner. I can’t say it was the best! It tasted of, well nothing really. It was rather bland! However on the plus side there were no eggs – brilliant.


No comments:

Post a Comment