Monday 17 June 2013

Measuring plot one

Speedily walked to our plot this morning, Hugo held my hand again and we got there first. Today my role was to measure the heights of the palm tree species. I did this using a laser range finder. It took some getting used to at first but once I got the hang of it all was fine and dandy. First Hulio would measure the diameter of the tree. Then Louis would identify the tree type. If it was a palm tree I would then give a height for it. This was done for ever y tree with the diameter of more than 10cm in all the 13 subplots. If Louis could not identify the tree type a cutting would be made and later taken to the haberium to be identified. Hulio would climb the tree in order to get the cutting. Next we made a transect - this was to measure all the smaller trees with a diameter between 2-10cm. Hulio measured the diameter again and Louis would identify the tree type. However, there were more unknown tree types in the transect. For this my role was to take the cuttings and using masking tape to label them with a number. So later it could be correctly referred to. Freddie had the data sheet and wrote down all of the figures we shouted over to him. It was hard to move around the plot as most of it was covered in fairly deep water. So when I was navigating around to measure the tree heights at times I found it hard to keep up as I had to get to the right point in order to take the measurement. I got bitten a few times by ants and also got stung by a wasp today! Apparently at one point there was a massive spider on my back. Probably best I didn't see it. I saw lots of tarantulas and creepy crawlies, which was cool. The tarantulas were a bit unnerving though. Tomorrow we will finish the transect and take some peat cores. Hugo and I powered back again and went straight to the river to wash. Was so refreshing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment